The CIEMAT neutrino group is currently composed by 5 researchers, 2 engineers, 1 physicist, 3 PhD students and 2 technicians. The research activities of the group are focused on the study of neutrino oscillations, participating in four main projects: the Double Chooz reactor neutrino experiment, the protoDUNE detector, the Short-Baseline Nar Detector (SBND) and the future DUNE long-baseline neutrino experiment.
The group did a major contribution in the design, construction and operation of both far and near Double Chooz detectors. We strongly participate in the Double Chooz detector analysis leading several studies on the accidental background events, neutrino selection, detection efficiency uncertainties and developed a new method based on the different reactor power conditions to provide a background-independent θ13 measurement.
CIEMAT is in charge of the ProtoDUNE light detection system. The ProtoDUNE is a liquid-argon (LAr) time-projection chamber (TPC) located at the CERN Neutrino Platform.
From 2019, the CIEMAT neutrino group is working on the analysis of the SBND experiment, one of three LAr part of the Short-Baseline Neutrino Program.
The CIEMAT neutrino group is also involved in the DUNE physics preparation, carrying out studies on supernova and low energy neutrino physics.
We also work on R&D for large scale cryogenic liquid detectors, participating in the AIDA-innova European Project, funded by the Horizon 2020 European Programme and on the novel LiquidO Technology consisting on an opaque scintillator and a dense array of fibres.
- Scintillation light detection in the 6-m drift-length ProtoDUNE Dual Phase liquid argon TPC, DUNE Collaboration, arXiv:2203.16134, 2022
- Separation of track- and shower-like energy deposits in ProtoDUNE-SP using a convolutional neural network, DUNE Collaboration, arXiv:2203.17053, 2022
- Low exposure long-baseline neutrino oscillation sensitivity of the DUNE experiment, DUNE Collaboration, arXiv:2109.01304, accepted for publication in Phys. Rev. D, 2022
- Low Background kTon-Scale Liquid Argon Time Projection Chambers, A. Avasthi et al, arXiv:2203.08821, 2022
- SoLAr: Solar Neutrinos in Liquid Argon, S. Para et al., arXiv:2203.07501, 2022
- A Gaseous Argon-Based Near Detector to Enhance the Physics Capabilities of DUNE, DUNE Collaboration, arXiv:2203.06281, 2022
- Snowmass Neutrino Frontier: DUNE Physics Summary, DUNE Collaboration, arXiv:2203.06100, 2022
- Low-Energy Physics in Neutrino LArTPCs, D. Caratelli et al., arXiv:2203.00740, 2022
- Design, construction and operation of the ProtoDUNE-SP Liquid Argon TPC, DUNE Collaboration, JINST 17 (2022) P01005.
- Scintillation light detection in the 6-m drift length ProtoDUNE Dual Phase liquid argon TPC, DUNE Collaboration (I. Gil-Botella et al.), JINST 17 (2022) C01012.
- Revealing Neutrino Oscillations Unknowns with Reactor and Long-Baseline Accelerator Experiments, I. Gil-Botella and C. Palomares, Universe 8 (2022) 81.