Main conclusions obtained until the current moment of project progress:
- Scrub clearing and clearing of forests generate can generate very abundant biomass resources that are currently little or nothing valued.
- Is it environmentally sustainable the scrub clearing? Soon to say, but everything indicates that it is positive if done in a well-ordered way and with the adequate machinery.
- The biomass obtained from the scrub formations has medium-high qualities for energy uses and could compete with wood pellets and wood chips.
- The mechanized exploitation of the biomass of many shrub lands can be profitable in the short-medium term (learning curve still ahead).
- It is necessary for administrations to take the issue seriously. To help the owners and to invest more in clearings that can be partially self-financing with the biomass, mycologycal resources, pastures, and the beekeeping.
- Overcoming inertia. The scrub biomass is not wood. Its treatment is different. Specific guidelines and regulations are required for their management, such as the permit to temporarily store harvested biomass in the cleared areas.
- How to invest new public funds: more silvicultural treatments and less afforestation are recommended. It is necessary to take care of the forest vegetation we have before creating new forests.