Flow Cytometry and Fluorescence Microscopy Centre
Flow Cytometry and Fluorescence Microscopy Centre - UCM. Lab. nº 84 Laboratory Network of Community of Madrid.
Flow Cytometry and Fluorescence microscopy centre
The Flow Cytometry and Fluorescence microscopy centre (CAI) belongs to RedLab, the Laboratory Network of the Community of Madrid and to the Network of Centres to Support Research at Complutense University of Madrid. It has a long history in the collaboration with multiple groups either of UCM and of Public and Private Institutions.
It has experience in cell culture, cell separation, (AutoMACs y Sorter FACS), analysis of cell populations by flow cytometry and analysis of tissue sections in cells isolated by conventional fluorescence, confocal and multispectral microscopy. It has highly qualified personel with scientific and technical experience.
Technical Services offered
- Confocal Microscopy: It allows the multiparametric and simultaneous analysis of several fluorochromes and signal transmision. The incubation chamber and the thermostatized platen facilitate the performance of studies with living cells and/or tissues. The equipments available allow advanced applications of confocal microscopy (spectral system and multilineal excitation) and ex vivo (in vitro) applications and conventional FRAT and FRET. It has a multiphoton laser inserted in the spectral confocal microscope.
- Flow Cytometry and Lased Scanning: It allows the simultaneous analysis of different parameters of biosanitary interest: cell surface antigens, membrane proteins, intracellular proteins, signal transduction pathways, cell signalling, nuclear proteins, apoptosis, cell cycle, cell ploidy, etc.
- Cell population isolation and purification: The cell separator cytometerqallows the separation of cell populations previously labelled with fluorochromes that can be excited with blue light (488nm), red light (633nm) and UV (Indo-1, for intracellular calcium, Hoechst and DAPI for cell cycle or nuclear staining, antibodies and/or probes linked to AMCA, etc). It also has a high speed cell separation system (Turbo Sort), allowing the cepatarion of big cellular particles (Langerhans islets, megakaryocytes and plant protoplasts) or Macrosort and a cell deposition system for clonning (Clonecyt Plus). The magnetic separator allows cell population separation when not many parameters are required, by the use of antibodies conjugated to magnetic particles in a rapid and efective manner.
- Laboratory for sample preparation: The centre has a laboratory with general cellular biology instrumentation to prepare the samples for conventional optic microscopy and immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, cell separation and cell culture. PRecise computer systems are available for data and image treatment and analysis.
Activities developed with CellCAM Program
The activities developed by CAI-UCM in the context of CellCAM Project include:
- Incorporation of protocols that were established for sample preparation and analysis. Adaptation and incorporation of new protocols to caary out more precise analysis that the different groups required.
- Characterization by flow cytometry of specific cellular penotypes, stem cells, cell differentiation markers, expression of molecules of interest in defined cell populations, cell cycle and death in assays of cell viability and susteptibility to different agents. Oxidative stress, calcium flow or membrane potential physiological analyses. Membrane fluorescent protein expression, isolation of specific cell types based on their differential expression of membrane proteins, incorporation of fluorescent proteins, etc.
- In the field of confocal and fluorescent microscopy: - Multiparametric histological analysis in tissues and cellular types. Three.dimensional analysis of samples containing possitional information of cells or molecules in the tissues. Morphofunctional analysis of fixed or dinamic cell cultures. Histological localization of different endogenous and exogenous cell types. Niche definition and topological associations between them.